Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Student Notes: Introduction

Student Notes are notes I've written over the years to help me prepare a mental checklist of objects I should cover during Direct Observation Clinical Encounter Examinations (DOCEE). 

Naturally, any test in life that involves 2 examiners giving you "killing looks" (to quote Joe & Gus in Gone Fishin') while you take the history from a real patient and examine him/her, is bound to be stressful. Add to that, a grilling Q&A after you've finished examining the patient on your findings, differential diagnosis and management, and you're nerves are on fire for the next hour. 


So after my first DOCEE, I realized logic and common sense flew out the window the moment I entered a patient's room and saw 2 consultants peering at me. 


Therefore I devised a devious plan to overthrow their looks and score great on a DOCEE. 


Examiners tend to be strict in grading if cases are common and lenient when you are examined on a rare case.
Since this exam is conducted at hospitals, cases seen are most likely to be the common cases you encounter on a daily basis in your rotations. If you can at least get a mental checklist of those, that's a few cases less to worry about in the exams.

I'll be posting these throughout the year.


I hope you benefit from them!

No comments:

Post a Comment